Sunday, June 12, 2011

Black-Bean Flourless Decadent Brownies



Black Beans in BROWNIES? Yes, it's true. I've heard of avocado in raw chocolate pies, which BTW I am going to try one of these days, but black beans in brownies was a new concept to me.

I found this recipe on my Whole Foods app and must say I was very impressed. They are very moist and very delicious. I didn't make any changes to this recipe in terms of main ingredients, but I did leave out the walnuts. If I was going to make over this recipe, I would try cutting out some of the sugar....but that's a tough one because sugar adds body and volume to the recipe so it may take a few experiments to get the texture right. Any ideas on a sugar replacement that doesn't mess up the texture?

Here you have it!

Ingredients:
1 can (15 ounce) black beans, (no salt added preferably) rinsed and drained
3 large eggs
1/3 cup melted butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 C plus 2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 C chopped walnuts (if you prefer)

1. Preheat Oven to 350. In a food processor, combine all ingredients except nuts and chocolate chips. Process until smooth. Remove blade and scrape sides and blade.

2. Add chocolate chips and walnuts and stir with a spoon until combined

3. Add mixture to a buttered, cooking sprayed, however you want to do it 8-inch baking pan

4. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the center is set. Cool before cutting or serving.

Printable Version

Serves:16

Calories: (W/O Walnuts) 122, W/Walnuts- 160
Fat: 7g                                       9g
Carbs: 14g                                 17g
Sugar: 10g                                 12g
Fiber: 2g                                     2g
Protein: 4g                                  4g

1 comment:

  1. So what is the calorie break down on this recipe? Mmm.. I gotta try this!

    ReplyDelete