Tuesday, October 2, 2012

You asked for it: Red Velvet Brownies with cream cheeese frosting



I have received a few hints from people who read my blog- MORE EAT YOUR FEELINGS FOOD PLEASE!

I am not about to put myself on a healthy eating pedestal, but I eat very healthy most of the time. If you are a friend in real life, you know I can put unhealthy food away with the best of them, especially at a good party. I could out-eat just about anyone if called to the challenge.

Since I'm SO good at eating, I really can't have processed desserts in my house. I fully 100% with all my heart believe that the chemicals and sweeteners found in processed foods like brownie mixes and cake mixes trigger some beast inside of me and I go nuts! Don't worry, I seek professional help for these obviously ABNORMAL issues :)

For that reason you don't see a lot of treats on this blog. I also RARELY use boxed mixes.  If I do, that dessert is going to a party where other people can eat it. I'm not opposed to boxed mixes, but for me, they're a no-no. I LOVE seeing other bloggers creations out of mixes and their lovely dessert creations so if you want dessert ideas,  there's that thing called pinterest!

I do love myself a good brownie every now and then and knew I wanted to make some for my family party. I trust my food magazines with new recipes and went for Southern Living's Red Velvet Brownie recipe. Nothing beats a delicious homemade brownie.

These were seriously amazing. Dense. Moist. Thick. Balanced. Chewy. Slightly Tangy.

The recipe is one you stir by hand and I followed the recipe to a T except for one little tiny thing. The cute bakers on DC Cupcakes always add apple cider vinegar to anything red velvet, so I threw in a tablespoon of ACV just because.

Here is how I made these brownies:

Ingredients:
  • 1 (4-oz.) bittersweet chocolate baking bar, chopped (on the back of your cocoa box you can see how to substitute cocoa and oil for chocolate)
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 (1-oz.) bottle red liquid food coloring
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 3 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 C powdered sugar
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
Directions;

  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottom and sides of a 9 X 13 inch pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides; lightly grease foil or paper.
  2. Microwave chocolate and butter in a large microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, stirring at 30-second intervals. Whisk in sugar. Add eggs, 1 at a time, whisking just until blended after each addition. Gently stir in flour, food coloring, baking powder, and vanilla extract. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
  3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. (cooking times may vary) Cool completely on a wire rack (about 2 hours).
  4. While brownies are cooling, beat cream cheese, butter, powdered  sugar, vanilla, and salt together in a bowl. Beat until smooth and creamy.
  5. Lift brownies from pan, using foil sides as handles; gently remove foil. Spread  Cream Cheese Frosting on top of brownies, and cut into 16 squares. Garnish, if desired.







My awesome cousin is a great sport to demonstrate how easily these can be devoured

My other awesome cousin is laughing at me in the background while I throw all my manners out the window and eat straight from the butchers knife. 


Printable Version


No comments:

Post a Comment