Saturday, June 4, 2011

Beef Stroganoff that your husband could make

One time I asked my awesome husband to make dinner while I was driving home from a long day of teaching. I had everything prepared, and all he had to do was listen to the sound of my voice (using a bluetooth hands-free device of course) while I talked him through it during my drive home. Let's just say he was a little freaked out when I told him he would be making beef stroganoff.

He was a champ! It turned out great and if he can make it, anyone can make it! I've adapted this from Cooking Light because I actually prefer ground beef in my stroganoff and the original recipe calls for sirloin steak.  It also calls for fresh mushrooms but I use canned when I'm in a pinch. I will say that this isn't your cream of condensed soup version and will require more than 4 ingredients, but it is well worth it. This recipe is full of flavor without all the calories and fat of regular stroganoff.

Ingredients:


1 pound leanest beef you can afford. If you are rich, use 1 pound boneless sirloin steak, trimmed.
Cooking spray
3 cups sliced mushrooms, about 8 oz (I've used a couple cans of mushrooms)
1/2 C chopped onion
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1 C fat free, less-sodium beef broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
3/4 C reduced fat sour cream
4 C hot cooked egg noodles (8 oz uncooked)
3 Tbsp minced fresh flat-leaf parsley

1. Brown ground beef for 2-3 minutes OR if you are rich, cut the beef diagonally across the grain into 1/4 inch wide strips, and then cut the strips into 2 inch pieces and then brown in a nonstick pan for 2-3 minutes.

2. Remove beef from pan and place in a medium bowl, and keep warm. Add mushrooms and onion to pan and saute 4 minutes. Add mushroom and onion mixture to beef.

3. Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add flour. Cook 1 minute, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.

4. Add beef mixture, salt, and pepper to pan and bring to a boil. reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes. remove from heat and let stand 30 seconds. Stir in sour cream. combine cooked noodles and minced parsley, and serve beef mixture over noodles. Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment