Sunday, June 5, 2011

Cowboy Caviar



I saw this recipe on one of my absolute FAVORITE food blogs, called The Girl Who Ate Everything, and it's called Cowboy Caviar. I had been wanting an excuse to make this for a long time and finally had a party where I need a side dish. The flavors are incredible and it's perfect for a snack, a BBQ, or a party. I modified it a bit because I didn't have shoepeg corn or black eyed peas. I used white beans in place of the black eyed peas and used Kraft Light Zesty Italian Dressing for a little less calories. It was a HIT! If you have my favorite kitchen gadget, the Vidalia Onion Chop Wizard, you can have this ready in no time.




Cowboy Caviar
from Sheri Denney 

1 can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can shoepeg corn, drained and rinsed
4-5 Roma tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
2-3 diced avocados, ripe but still firm
4 green onions, sliced thin (I used 1/2 purple onion diced finely because that's all I had)
around 1/2  to 3/4 cup Zesty Italian dressing
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped finely
1-2 limes
ground pepper and salt to taste

Drain and rinse the black eyed peas, black beans, and corn. Add to a large bowl. Dice the tomatoes, making sure the seeds and insides are removed. You want to do this to make sure that there isn't too much liquid in the dip. Add the diced tomatoes and cilantro to the bowl. Slice the green onions finely (or purple onion) and add to the bowl. Dice the avocado and squeeze a little of the lime juice over the avocados so they don't brown as quickly. Squeeze the rest of the lime juice into the bowl. Add the Italian dressing and stir to coat all the ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Chill in the refrigerator until cold and flavors have marinated together. This is best served the same day as prepared. Serve with tortilla chips


No comments:

Post a Comment