Saturday, October 22, 2011

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes with Berry Topping


I've been cooking from my Volumetrics cookbook lately and was surprised at how delicious and fluffy these pancakes are. I love a good pancake but then you have to put syrup and butter on them and then it just feels like you dessert for breakfast. Don't get me wrong, dessert for breakfast is AWESOME but I needed something a little more healthy while still getting my pancake fix. The berry sauce is incredible and replaces any need for syrup.

Ingredients:

Pancakes
  • 1 1/4 C whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 C lowfat buttermilk
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Berry Sauce
  • 1 1/2 C unsweetened frozen berries, thawed (original recipe calls for raspberries, I used mixed)
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 Tbsp orange juice
  • 1 tsp vanilla

For the pancakes,


  1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until just combined, the batter will be lumpy.
  2. Drop by 1/4 C onto a hot griddle and when bubbles appear on the edges, flip. A serving is 2 pancakes.
  3. Pile high on your plate and dig in.
For the berry sauce,


  1. Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. A serving is 2 Tbsp of berry sauce. 
  2. Top pancakes with 2 Tbsp berry sauce and 1/2 C 




No comments:

Post a Comment