Sunday, November 13, 2011

Apple Cheesecake Oatmeal


Who doesn't love a good bowl of oatmeal for breakfast? I could name a lot of people including my husband and my sweet mother who would rather eat real ants on a log than oatmeal. BUT. I LOVE oatmeal and at one point in my life ate it for breakfast every morning for about 2 years.

Over the years I have perfected the art of cooking oatmeal and when I'm in a hurry, I use the microwave. This recipe was inspired by the Granny Smith apples in my fridge and leftover cream cheese glaze from a spice cake I made for some friends.

The secret ingredient is the egg. I don't add an egg every time but if I'm turning my oatmeal into a dessert, I always add the egg. It adds protein of course but it also turns the oatmeal into a custard like texture. I can thank my wonderful MIL for this little trick!

Ingredients for 1 serving

  • 1/2 C slow cook oats
  • 1/2 C finely chopped Granny Smith Apple
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 1/4 C Water
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • Dash of Salt
  • 2 Tablespoons Cream Cheese Glaze (*Full recipe Below)
Directions


1. Start by finely chopping your apple using your Vidalia Chop Wizard that you have purchased by now after realizing how much it will change your life.


2. In a deep bowl, combine the water, salt, oats, cinnamon, apple, and egg. Mix thoroughly until the egg is incorporated into the mixture. (Don't be scared of the egg, I promise it's good!)


3. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, keeping an eye on it so it doesn't boil over. Stir again and microwave for another 30 seconds if needed to reach desired consistency. Let stand for 3-4 minutes.

4. Once your oatmeal has reached its desired consistency, drizzle cream cheese glaze on top and enjoy!


* The recipe for a FULL batch of cream cheese glaze is:
  • 1/2 block of lowfat cream cheese
  • 1/2 stick of butter
  • 3 C powdered sugar
  • 1-3 Tbsp milk
  1. Cream butter and cream cheese.
  2. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time, mixing well in between each addition.
  3. Add milk 1 Tbsp at a time until it reaches a glaze consistency similar to honey. 
This makes enough glaze for a cake so if you are making some just for oatmeal, I would say use equal amounts of butter and cream cheese measured in tablespoons and then enough powdered sugar and milk to make a small amount of glaze.






No comments:

Post a Comment