Monday, January 30, 2012

1950's Rich Waffles






When I say Rich Waffles around my husband, he starts drooling and then he starts asking what he can do to help me make them. Since I am dedicating the next several recipes to my sweetheart, this one is for him. These are by far his favorite waffles.

I found this recipe in my 1950's Better Crocker cookbook and although it suggests using bacon fat for an even richer taste, I usually follow the regular richer instructions which call for an extra egg and extra Crisco, just cause we like to eat healthy at our house :)


These waffles should be served at a fancy restaurant. I would serve them to the President if he came to my house for breakfast. They really are rich. I've never had a waffle that compares. Not even the special malt waffles I used to eat at the 4-star ranch I used to work at compares to these.

Don't think about it, just make them for breakfast, or for a late night snack and I promise you that you won't be disappointed.

Ingredients:

3 Eggs

1 1/2 C Buttermilk

1 tsp baking soda

1 3/4 C sifted flour

2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 C melted shortening. That's right, pull out the tub-o-Crisco. (The cookbooks says "Fresh bacon fat is good in waffles.")

Instructions:

1. Beat eggs well.

2. Beat in the remaining ingredients.

3. Pour batter into heated waffle iron. Makes 8 waffles. Now go impress your family with your waffle skills.




Printable Version



























No comments:

Post a Comment