Thursday, January 26, 2012

Dan's Chicken Roll Ups











One time I was trying to bridge the gap between my husband's favorite foods and my own favorite foods. He is a self-proclaimed vegetable hater and I am a lover of vegetables. He hates spicy, I love my nose to run when I eat curry. I hate boxed dinners, he loves Velveeta shells and cheese. What's a girl to do? I called my mom.




I called my mom and my grandma and wrote down every recipe that involved bread, white creaminess, cheese, and one or two vegetables. I am crazy about my husband and have found out he actually likes more foods than either of us originally thought!




This recipe series is devoted to him. He makes me laugh from the moment I wake up until the moment I fall asleep. If these chicken roll ups make him happy (I admit I can eat more of these than him because they are SO delicious) then I will fore-go my veggie medley surprise just for him. Love you babe!




This recipe is a combo of my mom's and my favorite food blogger's, The Girl Who Ate Everything

Ingredients:
Filling:

8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature

1/2 C sour cream

1/4 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 Tbsp dried chives

1 1/2 Tbsp minced onion

2 stalks chopped celery (for veggie lovers)

2/3 C chopped or canned mushrooms (for veggie lovers)

3 C diced cooked chicken breasts


Roll Ups:

2 (8 ounce) cans of Pillsbury crescent rolls

1/4 C melted butter

2 C Italian seasoned bread crumbs




Gravy:

1 can (14.25 ounce) cream of chicken soup

1 package chicken gravy mix

3/4-1 C water


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With a hand mixer, combine the cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Add salt, pepper, dried chives, minced onion, celery, mushrooms, and diced chicken and stir until all smooth and creamy.


2. To assemble your roll ups, roll out the crescent roll triangles until they are as wide and long as possible. Fill each roll with 1/4 C of the filling and then tuck the sides around the filling and roll up towards the skinny end of the triangle, tucking as you go.





3. After rolling, dip the tops and bottoms in melted butter and then roll them around in a bowl of bread crumbs to get that yummy crunchy coating. Shake off any excess crumbs. Line them up on a greased cookie sheet as you go.










4. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

5. Prepare the gravy in a small pot on the stove. Combine the cream of chicken soup, the chicken gravy, and 3/4-1 C water. Bring to a simmer and then keep warm until you are ready to serve warm on top of the chicken roll ups.











Printable Version



No comments:

Post a Comment